Barton, North Riding of Yorkshire
Barton, a township, a parish, and a village in the N.R. Yorkshire. The township lies on a tributary of the river Tees, 4½ miles W of Croft railway station, and 5 SW of Darlington, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Darlington. The parish includes also the township of Newton-Morrel and part of the township of Stapleton. Acreage, 2449; population, 502. In this parish is a limestone quarry. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon; gross value, £150 with residence. Patrons, the Vicar of Stanwick and the Vicar of Gilling alternately. There is a Wesleyan chapel and an endowed school.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Barton St. Mary and St. Cuthbert|
|Poor Law union||Darlington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Barton:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Barton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Barton (St. Mary and St. Cuthbert))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Barton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: