Alne, North Riding of Yorkshire
Alne, a village, a township, and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire. The township lies on an affluent of the Ouse, and on the N.E.R., 13 miles NW by N of York; it has a station on the railway, and a post office under Easingwold. Acreage, 2262; population of the civil parish, 439; of the ecclesiastical, with Aldwark, 1449. The parish includes also the townships of Youlton, Aldwark, Tollerton, Flawith, and Tholthorpe. A chief residence is Alne Hall, the seat of the Swainston-Strangways family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York, and includes the curacy of Aldwark; value, £400. The church is Norman, and has a carved oaken pulpit and a Norman font. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Alne St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Easingwould|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Alne:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Alne from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Alne (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Alne are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: