Allerston, North Riding of Yorkshire
Allerston, a village, a township, and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire. The parish lies near the river Derwent, ½ mile from Wilton station on the branch of the N.E.R., and 6 miles E of Pickering, the post town and telegraph office; Thornton-le-Dale, 2½ miles distant, is the money order office. Acreage, 10,043; population, 373. The living is a vicarage, annexed to that of Ebberston, in the diocese of York; joint gross yearly value, £293 with residence, in the gift of the Archbishop of York. The church, which is ancient and in the Norman style, was thoroughly restored in 1882. Cross-cliff is a hamlet in this parish.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Allerston St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Pickering|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Allerston:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Allerston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Allerston (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Allerston are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: