Aldwark, North Riding of Yorkshire
Aldwark, a township, a chapelry, and a pleasant village in Alne parish, N.R. Yorkshire, on the river Ouse, 3 miles SW of Alne station on the N.E.R., and 12 NW of York. Acreage, 2314 of land and 23 of water; population, 215. Lord Walsingham is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The church is a pretty building in the Perpendicular style, erected about 1846 by Lady Frankland Russell, who endowed it with £30 per annum. The living is annexed to that of Alne. Aldwark has a post office under Easingwold; money order and telegraph office, Great Ouseburn.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Easingwould|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Aldwark from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Aldwark)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Aldwark are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: