Ainderby Steeple, North Riding of Yorkshire
Ainderby-Steeple, a township, a village, and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the river Swale, adjacent to Ainderby railway station, 3 miles W of Northallerton, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Northallerton. The parish includes also the townships of Warlaby, Morton-upon-Swale, and Thrintoft. Acreage, 1158; population of civil parish, 224; of ecclesiastical, 635. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon; value, £200. Patron, the Bishop of Ripon. The church is an excellent specimen of Early English, and has been very successfully restored.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ainderby-Steeple St. Helen|
|Poor Law union||Northallerton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Ainderby Steeple:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ainderby Steeple from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Ainderby-Steeple (St. Helen))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Ainderby Steeple are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: