Cherry Burton, East Riding of Yorkshire
Cherry Burton, a township, a village, and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire. The village is 3 miles NW of Beverley, and has a station on a branch of the N.E.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office (S.O.) Acreage of township, 3469; population, 429. Cherry Burton Hall and Cherry Burton House are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York; net value, £538 with residence. The church of St Michael, rebuilt in 1852-53, is in the Early Decorated style, and has an embattled western tower; it contains a carved stone pulpit and a beautiful font. The register dates back to 1561. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Cherry Burton:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cherry Burton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Burton, Cherry (St. Michael))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Cherry Burton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: