Catwick, East Riding of Yorkshire
Catwick, a village, a township, and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire, 5 miles from Hornsea station on the N.E.R., 4½from Whitedale station, and 8 from Beverley. Post town, Hull; telegraph office, Leven. Acreage of township, 1570; population, 231. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York; net value, £160 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor.. The church was rebuilt in 1864, and is in the Decorated English style. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Catwick St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Skirlaugh|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Catwick:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Catwick from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Catwick (St. Michael))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Catwick are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: