Carnaby, East Riding of Yorkshire
Carnaby, a township, a village, and a parish in E.R. Yorkshire, on the Hull and Scarborough branch of the N.E.R., 2½ miles SW of Bridlington, with a station on the railway, and a post office under Hull; money order and telegraph office, Bridlington. Acreage, 1944; population of the civil parish, 200; of the ecclesiastical, 308. The living is a vicarage, united with Fraisthorpe and held with Boynton, in the diocese of York; value, £66. The church is an ancient building in the Perpendicular style, and has a good Later English tower. The nave of the church was restored in 1892-93. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Carnaby St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Bridlington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Carnaby:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Carnaby from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Carnaby (St. John the Baptist))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Carnaby are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: