Butterwick, East Riding of Yorkshire
Butterwick, a township and a small parish, in the E.R. Yorkshire, 2½ miles SSE of Sherburn station on the N.E.R. Post town, Scarborough, under York. Acreage, 1781; population, 92. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; gross value, £63 with residence. Patron, the Rector of Foxholes. The church has an effigy of a knight in armour.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Driffield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Butterwick from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Butterwick)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: