UK Genealogy Archives logo

Burythorpe, East Riding of Yorkshire

Historical Description

Burythorpe, a village, a township, and a parish in E.R. Yorkshire, near the river Derwent, 3½ miles E by S of Kirkham railway station, and 4 S of New Malton. The township includes the hamlet of Thornthorpe, and has a post office under York; money order office, Leavening; telegraph office, Kirkham Abbey. Acreage, 1250; population, 227. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York; gross value, £267 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church isa handsome edifice in the Early English style,and contains an ancient Norman font, which belonged to a previous church. There are also Wesleyan and United Free Methodist chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyYorkshire 
Ecclesiastical parishBurythorp All Saints 
Poor Law unionMalton 
RidingEast 
WapentakeBuckrose 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Burythorpe:

BaptismsBannsMarriagesBurials
1721-19001755-18911720-19011720-1901

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Burythorpe from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Burythorpe are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online:

DistrictRyedale
CountyNorth Yorkshire
RegionYorkshire and the Humber
CountryEngland
Postal districtYO17
Post TownMalton