Burton Pidsea, East Riding of Yorkshire
Burton-Pidsea, a village, a township, and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire. The village stands on an eminence, with an extensive view, 3½ miles NNE of Burstwick railway station, and 9 NW by N of Patrington, and has a post and money order office under Hull; telegraph office, Hedon. The parish comprises 2304 acres; population, 342. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; net value, £200 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of York. The church, which is an ancient building in the Later English style, was restored in 1866. There are also a Wesleyan chapel and an iron and brass foundry.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Burton-Pidsea St. Peter, or St. Mary|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Burton Pidsea:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Burton Pidsea from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Burton-Pidsea (St. Peter, or St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Burton Pidsea are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: