Burnby, East Riding of Yorkshire
Burnby, a village, a township, and a parish in E.R. Yorkshire, on an affluent of the river Derwent and on the York and Market-Weighton railway, 2½ miles ESE of Pocklington. There is a station called Nunburnholme on the railway, and the post town is Hayton. Acreage of township, 1702; population, 115. The living is a rectory in the diocesn of York; net value, £286 with residence. Patron, Lord Londesborough. The church is ancient, in the Early English style, with some Norman remains.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Burnby St. Giles|
|Poor Law union||Pocklington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Burnby:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Burnby from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Burnby (St. Giles))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Burnby are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: