Boynton, East Riding of Yorkshire
Boynton, a village, a township, and a parish in E.R. Yorkshire, on the Gypsey stream, 3 miles WNW of Bridlington station on the N.E.R., with a post office under Bridlington-Quay, which is the money order and telegraph office. Acreage of parish, 2617; population, 128. Boynton Hall is the seat of the Strickland family, and a pavilion above it commands most beautiful views. The living is a vicarage, lield with Carnaby and Fraisthorpe, in the diocese of York; net value, £199 with residence. The church has been rebuilt since the Reformation, but has an old tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Boynton St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Bridlington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Boynton:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Boynton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Boynton (St. Andrew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Boynton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: