Little Leigh, Cheshire
Leigh, Little, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Great Budworth parish, Cheshire. The village stands near the Trent and Mersey Canal and the river Weaver, 3½ miles NW of Northwich, and 2 from Acton Bridge station on the L. & N.W.R. Post town, Northwich. The township comprises 1595 acres; population, 410. The manor belongs to Lord Leigh. The ecclesiastical parish includes also the townships of Button and Barting-ton, and was constituted in 1833. Population, 888. The townships of Little Leigh and Dutton each has a parish council composed of eight members respectively. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester; gross value, £250 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Great Budworth. The present church was erected in 1879 in the place of an older one. There is a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Great Budworth|
|Poor Law union||Northwich|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Little Leigh from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Leigh, Little)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Little Leigh are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.