Bolton, East Riding of Yorkshire
Bolton, a township in Bishop-Wilton parish, E.R. Yorkshire, 3 miles NW of Pocklington, and 1½ mile from Fangfoss station on a branch of the N.E.R. Acreage, 940; population, 118. There is a Wesleyan chapel. Bolton Hall is the seat of the Bardwell family, who are lords of the manor.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Bishop Wilton|
|Poor Law union||Pocklington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bolton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Bolton)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Bolton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: