Blacktoft, East Riding of Yorkshire
Blacktoft, a village, a township, and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the left bank of the river Ouse, about a mile above the junction with the Trent, where the estuary of the Humber commences. It is 3½ miles S by E of Staddlethorpe railway station, and 8 ESE of Howden, and it includes the hamlet of Staddlethorpe, and has a post and telegraph office under Howden; money order office, Newport. The parish consists of the townships of Blacktoft and Scalby, and the extra-parochial chapelry of Cheapsides. Acreage, 1761; population of the civil parish, 578; of the ecclesiastical, 525. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; net value, £255 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, is a neat structure, with apse, small chancel, and 3 sweet-toned bells. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Howden|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Blacktoft:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Blacktoft from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Blacktoft)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Blacktoft are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: