Bishop Burton or Louth Burton, East Riding of Yorkshire
Bishop-Burton or Louth-Burton, a village, a township, and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire, on the Wolds, 3 miles W of Beverley railway station, with a post, money order, and telegraph office of the name of Bishop-Burton (S.O.) Acreage, 4263; population, 466. A residence of the Archbishops of York was formerly here. Bishop-Burton Hall is the seat of the Watts. The living is a vicarage In the diocese of York; net value, £250. The church commands a fine view, and is good. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, an endowed school with £20, and almshouses with £162 per annum. In the village is a small mere, near which are several barrows.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Burton Bishop All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Beverley|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Bishop Burton:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bishop Burton or Louth Burton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Burton, Bishop (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: