Birdsall, East Riding of Yorkshire
Birdsall, a township, a village, and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire, 1¾ mile SW of North Grimston railway station, and 5½ miles S by E of New Malton. Post and money order office, York; telegraph office, Malton. Acreage, 4031; population, 366. Birdsall Hall, a seat of Lord Middleton, is the chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; net value, £62. Patron, Lord Middleton. The church is a handsome edifice, built in 1825 by Lord Middleton. Henry Burton, the famous Puritan divine, who died in 1648, was a native. Traces of a Danish encampment have been found
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Birdsall St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Malton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Birdsall:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Birdsall from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Birdsall (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Birdsall are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: