Bempton, East Riding of Yorkshire
Bempton, a village, a township, and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire, on the coast, and on the Hull and Scarborough railway, 3½ miles N of Bridlington. There is a station on the railway, and a post and money order office (R.S.O.); telegraph office, Flamborough. Acreage, 1977; population of the civil parish, which includes Newsholm, 310. Near the village are the remains of what was formerly thought to have been an ancient British village, consisting of about sixty pit dwellings. Some authorities now believe that they are the remains of flint mines. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; gross value, £111 with residence. The church has a nave of four bays with round pillars, and a chancel rebuilt in 1829. The tower was thoroughly repaired within and without in 1892. There are Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Bempton St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Bridlington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Bempton:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bempton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Bempton (St. Michael))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Bempton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: