UK Genealogy Archives logo

Beeford, East Riding of Yorkshire

Historical Description

Beeford, a village, a township, and a parish in E.R. Yorkshire, 6 miles SSE of Lowthorpe station on the N.E.R., and 9 ESE of Great Driffield, with a post and money order office; telegraph office, Lowthorpe. Area, 3754 acres; population of the civil parish, 728; of the ecclesiastical, 931. The parish includes also the townships of Dunnington and Lissett. The living is a rectory, united with the perpetual curacy of Lissett, in the diocese of York; net value, £579 with residence. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church is Perpendicular English, with a fine tower, and has a brass of 1472. There are Congregational and Methodist chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyYorkshire 
Ecclesiastical parishBeeford St. Leonard 
Poor Law unionDriffield 
RidingEast 
WapentakeHolderness 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Beeford:

BaptismsBannsMarriagesBurials
1565-19151653-18541626-19301563-1930

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Beeford from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Beeford are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online:

CountyEast Riding of Yorkshire
RegionYorkshire and the Humber
CountryEngland
Postal districtYO25
Post TownDriffield