Barmston, East Riding of Yorkshire
Barmston, a village, a township, and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire, on the coast, 5 miles SE of Burton-Agnes railway station, and 8 S by W of Bridlington. Post town, Lowthorpe, under Hull. Acreage, 2391; population, 213. The manor belongs to Sir H. S. Boynton, Bart., and the ancient mansion on it is now a farmhouse. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York; gross value, £900. The church is Perpendicular English, has a Norman porch-door, had once a chantry, and contains a circular font with cable moulding, and a monument to Sir Martin de la Mare (1494) and others to the Boyntons. There is a Wesleyan chapel here, and an hospital for four old labourers, founded in 1726 by Sir Griffith Boynton, Bart.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Barmston All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Bridlington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Barmston:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Barmston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Barmston (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Barmston are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: