Barmby on the Moor, East Riding of Yorkshire
Barmby-on-the-Moor or Barmby-Moor, a township, a village, and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire, 1½ mile W of Pocklington station on the N.E.R., with a post office of the name of Barmby-Moor under York. Acreage, 2579; population of the civil parish, 440; of the ecclesiastical, 617. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; net value, £220 with residence. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church consists of nave and chancel, has a fine square tower with modern spire, and was rebuilt in 1851. There are chapels for Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists, and charities amounting to £57.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Barmby-on-the-Moor St. Catherine|
|Poor Law union||Pocklington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Barmby on the Moor:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Barmby on the Moor from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Barmby-on-the-Moor (St. Catherine))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: