Barmby on the Marsh, East Riding of Yorkshire
Barmby-on-the-Marsh, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Howden parish, E.R. Yorkshire, at the confluence of the Derwent and the Ouse, 2½ miles SSW of Wressel railway station and 4 W of Howden. The Hull and Barnsley Railway Company, whose line runs through the village, have a siding for the delivery and transit of goods. It has a post and money order office under Howden. Acreage, 1474; population of the township, 372; of the ecclesiastical parish, 385. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York; gross value, £280 with residence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, and charities amounting to £150 per annum.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Howden|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Barmby on the Marsh:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Barmby on the Marsh from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Barmby-on-the-Marsh)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Barmby on the Marsh are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: