Little Budworth, Cheshire
Budworth, Little, a village, a township, and a parish in Cheshire, on an affluent of the river Weaver, near Delamere Forest, 4 miles SE of Delamere station on the Cheshire Lines railway, and 3 NE by E of Tarporley. There is a post and telegraph office. Acreage of the civil parish, 3867; population, 585; of the ecclesiastical, 534. Oulton Park is the chief residence, situated in an extensive deer park. The Earl of Shrewsbury and Talbot is lord of the manor. The living is an impropriated rectory in the diocese of Chester; net value, £150 with residence. The ancient church belonged to St Mary's Nunnery in Chester, and was rebuilt in 1800.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Northwich|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Little Budworth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Budworth, Little, (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Little Budworth are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.