Barlby, East Riding of Yorkshire
Barlby, a village, a township, and a chapelry in Hemingbrough parish, E.R. Yorkshire, on the river Ouse, 1 mile N of the Leeds and Hull railway, and 1¾ NE of Selby. The chapelry includes Barlby-Bank hamlet, and has a post office under Selby. Acreage, 1304; population of the township, 442; of the chapelry, 458. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York; net value, £120. Patron, the Vicar of Hemingbrough. The church is good. There is also a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Selby|
|Wapentake||Ouse and Derwent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Barlby:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Barlby from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Barlby)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Barlby are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: