Bainton, East Riding of Yorkshire
Bainton, a village, a township, and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the Wolds, 6 miles SW of Great Driffield, with a station on the Bridlington, Market Weighton, and Selby line. It has a post office under Driffield, the telegraph office. Acreage, 2982; population, 365. The parish includes also the township of Neswick, with an area of 987 acres and a population of 54. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York; gross value, £690 with residence. Patron, St John's College, Oxford. The church is ancient, but very good. There are also Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Bainton St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Driffield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Bainton:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bainton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Bainton (St. Andrew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Bainton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: