Atwick, East Riding of Yorkshire
Atwick, a township, a village, and a parish in the E.R Yorkshire. The village stands on the coast, 2 miles N of Hornsea railway station, and 13 NE of Beverley, and has a post office under Hull; money order and telegraph office, Hornsea. The parish includes also the hamlets of Arran and Skirlington. Population, 298. The land is undergoing encroachment by the sea. The living is a discharged vicarage in the diocese of York; net value, £109 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is in the Early English style, and was rebuilt in 1876. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. The Fenwick and Burton charities, chiefly for educating and apprenticing boys, has an income of £52, and are under the control of the Charity Commissioners.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Atwick St. Lawrence|
|Poor Law union||Skirlaugh|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Atwick:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Atwick from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Atwick (St. Lawrence))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Atwick are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: