Allerthorpe, East Riding of Yorkshire
Allerthorpe, a village, a township, and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire, lying near the Pocklington Canal and the Market-Weighton railway, 1½ mile SW of Pocklington station on the N.E.R. Acreage, 1580; population, 139. About 500 acres of the area is common land. The Duncombe family are lords of the manor and chief landowners. The parish includes also the township of Waplington. It has a post office under York; money order and telegraph office, Pocklington; population, 59. The living is a chapelry annexed to the vicarage of Thornton, in the diocese of York; joint yearly value, £270, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Pocklington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Allerthorpe:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Allerthorpe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Allerthorpe)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Allerthorpe are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: