Bolton Percy, Ainsty of York
Bolton-Percy, a township and a parish in the Ainsty, Yorkshire. The township lies on the river Wharfe, and on the N.E.R., 3½ miles ESE of Tadcaster, and it has a station on the railway, and a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.) Acreage, 2341; population of the township, 242; of the ecclesiastical parish, 449. The parish contains also the townships of Hornington, Pallathorpe, Colton and Steeton, with the hamlet of Streethouses. The manor belonged to the Percys of Topcliffe, and afterwards to the Beaumonts. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York; net value, £918 with residence. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church is Perpendicular English, was erected in 1423, consists of nave, aisles, chancel, and north chapel, with a handsome tower, and contains some very fine old oak seats, sedilia, and a well-preserved piscina within the sanctuary, and a monument to Lord Fairfax, the father of the famous Parliamentarian general. The east window is filled with beautiful old stained glass, and there are several modern memorial windows, one erected in 1860 to Sir W. M. Milner, Bart. There is a Wesleyan chapel and charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Bolton-Percy All Saints|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Bolton Percy:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bolton Percy from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Bolton-Percy (All Saints))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Ainsty related newspapers online: