Acaster Malbis, Ainsty of York
Acaster-Malbis, a township and parish and scattered village in the Ainsty of York, but for parliamentary purposes included in the North Riding, The township lies on the river Ouse, 2 miles E of Copmanthorpe railway station, and 5 S of York, under which it has a post office; money order office, Copmanthorpe. Area of the township, 1874 acres; population, 243. It derived its name from the Malbysse family, who flourished here for several centuries after the Conquest. This was formerly a Roman station. There is an excellent salmon fishery here, the property of Lord Wenlock, who is lord of the manor. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; net value, £74. Patron, Lord Wenlock. The church is an interesting specimen of 14th century architecture. There are an endowed school and a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Acaster-Malbis Holy Trinity|
|Poor Law union||York|
|Wapentake||Ouse and Derwent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Acaster Malbis:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Acaster Malbis from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Acaster-Malbis (Holy Trinity))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Ainsty related newspapers online: