Liscard, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Wallasey parish, Cheshire. The township lies on the Mersey, about half a mile from Egremont steam ferry station, and 2 miles N by W of Birkenhead, includes Egremont and New Brighton, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office (T.S.O.) under Liverpool. Acreage, 982, with 787 of adjacent tidal water and foreshore; population, 16,823. Liscard village is suburban to Birkenhead. The Wallasey Hospital for infectious diseases, the dispensary, and the cemetery are situated here. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1878. Population, 5679. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester; gross value, £400. Patron, the Bishop of Chester. The church was erected in 1877, and is in the Early English style. There are in the township Roman Catholic, Congregational, Reformed Episcopalian, Baptist, and Wesleyan chapels, and a meeting-house for the Society of Friends. EGREMONT and NEW BRIGHTON form separate ecclesiastical parishes in this township.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Wirrall|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Liscard from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Liscard)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Liscard are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.