Leftwich, a township in Davenham parish, Cheshire, on the river Dane, and extending 1½ mile S of Northwich. Acreage, 968; population, 3398. The manor belonged anciently to the Vernons, as part of the barony of Shipbrook, and passed to the Wilbrahams and the De Winningtons. Brockhurst Hall is the chief residence. The building of boats and flats is carried on. Danebridge Church and Northwich Workhouse are here. The church was built in 1849, and is in the Early English style. There is a Wesleyan ehapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Northwich|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Leftwich from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Leftwich are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.