Bearwood, an ecclesiastical parish in Berks, 2½ miles W of Wokingham railway station. It was constituted an ecclesiastical district in 1846, and a parish in 1866. Post town, Wokingham. Population, 850. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford; net yearly value, £168 with residence. The church, a handsome building of stone in the Decorated style, was erected and endowed in 1845 by the Walter family.
The register dates from the year 1845.
Church of England
St. Catherine (parish church)
The church of St. Catherine, situated on rising ground at the top of the village of Sindlesham (built and endowed about the year 1845 at the expense of John Walter esq.), is a building of stone in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays and an embattled western tower with pinnacles containing 2 bells. The organ was presented by Thomas Rickman Harman esq.: there are 280 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bearwood from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Berkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Berkshire papers online:
The Visitations of Berkshire 1532, 1566, and 1665-6 is available online.