Lach Dennis, Cheshire
Lach Dennis, a township in Great Budworth parish, Cheshire, 3½ miles ESE of Northwich. Lache-with-Saltney, an ecclesiastical parish in St Mary-on-the-Hill, Chester parish, Cheshire, and in Hawarden parish, Flintshire, near the river Dee, 3 miles SW of Chester. It was constituted in 1855, and its post town is Chester. Population, 2268. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester; net value, £190 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Chester. The old church of the Holy Epiphany was erected in 1855, but was found to be inconveniently situated and a new one, St Mark's, was erected in 1893.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Great Budworth|
|Poor Law union||Northwich|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Lach Dennis from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Lache-Dennis)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Lach Dennis are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.