Kingsley, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Frodsham civil parish, Cheshire. The village stands near Delamere Forest, 3 miles SE of Frodsham station on the L. & N.W. and Birkenhead railways, and 3 W of Acton station on the L. & N.W.R., and has a post office under Warrington; telegraph office, Frodsham. The township extends to the river Weaver, and comprises 2709 acres; population, 1111. Finney Hill is a lofty eminence, and a pit of good rock marl is near it. The ecclesiastical parish includes also the township of Newton-by-Frodsham, and was constituted in 1851. Population, 1209. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester; net value, £181 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Frodsham. The church was built in 1850 from designs by Sir Gilbert Scott, and was restored In 1880. There are Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist, and Free Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Runcorn|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kingsley from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Kingsley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.