Hulme Walfield, Cheshire
Hulme Walfield, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Astbury parish, Cheshire, near the boundary with Staffordshire, 2 miles N of Congleton. Post town, Congleton. Acreage, 1058; population, 115. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1878, and includes also the townships of Somerford-Booths and Radnor; population, 346. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester; net value, £200 with residence. Patron, the Eector of Astbury. The church was built in 1856, is a handsome edifice, comprising nave, chancel, and N aisle, and stands on an elevated spot commanding extensive views. The township is said to derive its name of Walfield from the existence of a Roman camp, but the exact site can only now be conjectured.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Congleton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hulme Walfield from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Hulme-Walfield)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Hulme Walfield are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.