Hooton, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Eastham parish, Cheshire. The township lies 2 miles S of East-ham, and 7 SE of Birkenhead. It has a station on the Birkenhead railway, at the junction of the Birkenhead and Chester branch with the Hooton, Parkgate, and West Kirby branch, and the Helsby and Hooton branch. Post-town, Eastham, under Birkenhead. Acreage, 1164 of land, 14 of water, 631 of tidal water, and 1099 of foreshore; population, 537. Hooton Hall, the seat of the lord of the manor, is a large mansion with a fine park, stands on an eminence commanding a good view of the Mersey and the surrounding country, belonged formerly to Sir T. M. Stanley, Bart., and was rebuilt in 1778 on the site of an old timbered house. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1862, and includes also the townships of Childer Thornton and Little Sutton. Population, 2374. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester; net value, £262 with residence. The church was built in 1862, and has five bells. There was a beautiful stained glass E window put in to the memory of Mrs Bridgman in 1893.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Wirrall|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hooton from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Hooton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.