Hoole, an important rising suburb of Chester, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Cheshire. Hoole, standing 2 miles NNE of Chester, and partly within that parliamentary borough, has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Chester. The township comprises 750 acres; population, 4066; of the ecclesiastical parish, 4171. It is governed by a local board of health. The ecclesiastical parish is constituted from parts of the parishes of St John the Baptist and Plemonstall, and the whole of the adjoining township of Newton. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester, gross value, £287. The church was built in 1867, has five bells, and a beautiful stained E memorial window. There are Wesleyan and Congregational mission-rooms.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Great Boughton|
|Registration district||Great Boughton||1837 - 1869|
|Registration district||Chester||1870 - 1937|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hoole from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Hoole are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.