High Legh, Cheshire
Leigh, High, or High Legh, a village and a township-chapelry in Rostherne parish, Cheshire. The village stands 3 miles S of Heatley and Warburton station on the Liverpool and Stockport section of the L. & N.W.R., and 5 NW of Knutsford, is a scattered place, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Knutsford. The township comprises 4522 acres; population, 844. High Leigh Hall and West Hall are the chief residences. The living is an old chapelry without cure of souls, in the diocese of Chester; net value,, £240. The church was built in 1815, superseded a previous edifice of 1404, was destroyed by fire in 1891, and rebuilt in 1893. A domestic chapel, erected in 1581, stands on the grounds of High Leigh Hall.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Altrincham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for High Legh from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.