Helsby, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Frodsham parish, Cheshire. The village stands at the foot of a range of hills, 2 miles SW of Frodsham, and has a station on the Helsby and Hooton branch of the Birkenhead railway, and on the L. & N.W.R. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Warrington. Acreage of township, 1320; population, 1154. The manor belongs to the Marquis of Cholmondeley. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Chester; gross value, £175 with residence. The church is modern. There are Wesleyan and Free Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Runcorn|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Helsby from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Helsby are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.