Handforth with Bosden, Cheshire
Handforth-with-Bosden, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Cheadle parish, Cheshire, 5 miles SW by S of Stockport. There is a station on the Manchester, Stock-port, and Crewe branch of the L. & N.W.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Manchester. Acreage of township, 1311; population, 794. Handforth and Bosden are villages separate from each other about 5 miles. Handforth Hall is now a farmhouse. Calico printing is extensively carried on. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1878, and is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester; net value, £140. The church was erected in 1837, and was formerly a chapel of ease to Cheadle. There are Wesleyan and New Connexion Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Stockport|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Handforth with Bosden from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Handforth, or Handford, with Bosden)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.