Halton, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Runcorn parish, Cheshire. The village stands on an eminence near the rivers Mersey and Weaver, 1½ mile SE of Runcorn, and 3 miles NNE of Frodsham, commands an extensive view along the Mersey, was once a market-town, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Runcorn, and a station on the Birkenhead railway. The township comprises 1870 acres; population, 1555. An ancient barony of Halton, having its seat at the village, was, with the constableship of Chester, given by Hugh Lupus, Earl of Chester, to his cousin Nigel, continued for several centuries to be held by Nigel's descendants, and passed through John of Gaunt to the duchy of Lancaster. A castle here, on the brow of a hill, was built about the time of the Conquest, was a favourite hunting-seat of John of Gaunt, was dismantled in the Civil War of Charles I., and is now represented by inconsiderable ruins. The manor now belongs to the Brooke family. Stone is quarried. The ecclesiastical parish includes also the townships of Norton, Stockham, and Clifton or Bock Savage, and was constituted in 1860. Population, 2647. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester; net value, £200 with residence. The church is an edifice of red stone with a turret. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a cemetery, and an endowed grammar school.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Runcorn|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Halton from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Halton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.