Hale, a township in Bowden parish, Cheshire, near the river Bollin, 2 miles SE of Altrincham. It has a post office tinder Altrincham; money order and telegraph office, Peel Causeway. Acreage, 3724; population, 3114. The parish of Kingway includes a large portion of the township of Hale. The benefice is in the gift of Lord Egerton of Tatton, who erected a new church on the site of the old one in 1894. There is also a chapel of ease at Hale Barns, a hamlet in Hale township. There are Wesleyan and Unitarian chapels. Hale, Cornwall. See HAYLE. Hale, Cumberland. See HAILE. Hale, a parish in Hants, on the river Avon, about 2 miles from Breamore station on the L. & S.W.R. and 3½ NNE of Fordingbridge. Post town, Salisbury; money order office, Downton; telegraph office, Breamore station. Acreage, 1378; population of the civil parish, 154; of the ecclesiastical, 184. Part of the surface is richly wooded, and part consists of elevated downs. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester, with South Charford annexed; gross value, £'200 with residence. The church is small, and stands in the park of Hale House. The manor belongs to the Goff family.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Altrincham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hale from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Hale are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.