Great Sutton, Cheshire
Sutton, Great, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Eastham parish, Cheshire, 1 mile S of Little Sutton station on the Birkenhead railway, and 5 miles N of Chester. Post town, Chester; money order and telegraph office, Little Sutton. The township comprises 1151 acres; population, 395. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1879. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester; net value, £138. Patron the Vicar of Eastham. The church is a small plain building of stone with mullioned windows, consisting of nave and chancel of large dimensions, south porch, and a spire. It has three stained glass windows.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Wirrall|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Great Sutton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Sutton, Great)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Great Sutton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.