Great Saughall, Cheshire
Saughall, Great, a township, with a scattered village, in Shotwick parish, Cheshire, 4 miles NW by W of Chester. It has a station on the Cheshire Lines and Manchester, Sheffield, and Lincolnshire Joint railway, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Chester. Acreage, 1028; population, 699. Shotwick Park is the chief residence. There are Baptist, Presbyterian, and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Great Boughton|
|Registration district||Great Boughton||1837 - 1869|
|Registration district||Chester||1870 - 1937|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Great Saughall from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Saughall, Great)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.