Great Neston, Cheshire
Neston, Great, a township in Neston parish, Cheshire. The town stands on the coast of the Dee estuary, 12 miles NW of Chester, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office, called Neston, under Chester, and a station of the same name on the Birkenhead railway. It unites with Parkgate to form an urban district council. The town-hall was erected in 1878, and contains the offices of the district council, an assembly-room, rooms for the literary society, and a branch bank. The petty sessions of the Wirral Division are held at Neston. The township comprises 1401 acres of land and 4 of water, with 66 of adjacent tidal water and 1052 of foreshore; population, 2240. The church was originally Norman, and was rebuilt in 1876, with the exception of the tower, which is of Perpendicular date, and contains a fine peal of eight bells. It consists of chancel with chapels, nave, aisles with chapels, N and S porches, and an embattled tower, and contains an ancient font and numerous monuments. There is a Presbyterian chapel.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.