Grappenhall, a village, a township, and a parish in Cheshire. The village lies on the Bridgwater Canal, near the river Mersey, 1 mile SE of Latchford: station on the L. & N.W.R., and 2¼ miles SE by S of Warrington, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office, under Warrington. Acreage of the township, 1610; population, 984. The parish includes also the township of Latchford. Grappenhall Hall and the Heys are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester; net value, £463 with residence. The church is very ancient, and was rebuilt in 1539 and restored in 1874; it contains an ancient font and some monuments and brasses. The two vicarages of Latch-ford are separate benefices. There is a Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Grappenhall St. Wilfrid|
|Poor Law union||Warrington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Grappenhall from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Grappenhall (St. Wilfrid))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Grappenhall are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.