Goostrey cum Barnshaw, Cheshire
Goostrey-cum-Barnshaw, a township and a parochial chapelry in Sandbach parish, Cheshire, near the river Dane, 3 miles NNW of Holmes Chapel station on the L. & N.W.R., 6 S of Knutsford, and 7 E of Middlewich, with a post office under Crewe; money order and telegraph office, Holmes Chapel. Acreage of township, 1795; population, 336. The chapelry includes also the townships of Blackden and Twemlow. Population, 623. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester; net value, £300 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Sandbach. The church was erected in 1792 on the site of an ancient one, and was restored in 1876. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Northwich|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Goostrey cum Barnshaw from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Goostrey, with Barnshaw)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.