Halsham, East Riding of Yorkshire
Halsham, a village, a township, and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire, 1¼ mile N of Ottringham station on the N.E.R., and 6 miles ESE of Hedon. Post town, Ottringham, under Hull; money order and telegraph office, Patrington. Acreage, 2910; population, 241. The manor belongs to the Hotham and Clarke families. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York; net value, £492 with residence. The church is ancient but good, includes a chantry chapel, has a modern vestry and a tower, and contains sedilia, a pulpit of 1634, and an alabaster effigy of Sir John Constable, of the middle of the 15th century; the church was restored in 1871. A handsome mausoleum of the Constable family, with dome and surmounted by a cross, is near the church. There is an endowed school, and an hospital for eight poor men and two poor women.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Halsham All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Patrington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Halsham:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Halsham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Halsham (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Halsham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: