Gristhorpe, North Riding of Yorkshire
Gristhorpe, a township in Filey parish, in the N.R. Yorkshire, on the coast, and on the Hull and Scarborough railway, 2 miles NW of Filey, and 5½ from Scarborough. It has a station on the railway. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Filey. Acreage, including New-biggin, 1202 of land and 128 of foreshore; population, 199. The coast cliff here has a height of 280 feet, presents an interesting study to geologists, and is rich in fossil plants, &c. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Scarborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Gristhorpe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Gristhorpe)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Gristhorpe are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: